Search This Blog

Monday 20 January 2014

Food Diary Day 20; Life Story: How a Gluten and Dairy Free Diet Helped My Psoriasis

Today I wanted to share a life experience of a friend of mine. My friend has suffered from psoriasis for over ten years and last year changed to a gluten and dairy free diet to see if it would help her skin condition. Please read her story below as it might help you or somebody you know.

 
 
What is Psoriasis?
 
Psoriasis is a chronic, recurring skin disease. Its scope can vary considerably; from mild outbreaks, where the person may not even be aware they have psoriasis, to severe cases, which can be socially disabling and, in rare instances, life-threatening.

Psoriasis affects approximately 3% of people globally. It can start at any age, but most often develops between the ages of 11 and 45.  The condition is not contagious. There is a genetic link and it tends to run in families.
 
Life Story:
 
After a lot of research on psoriasis forums I decided to go dairy and gluten free. Having suffered with severe psoriasis for 10 years and having tried numerous fads and failed, I was willing to try something new. My condition only clears when in the sun or with the use of constant steroid cream. The psoriasis on my arms is the worst outbreak on my body.  I also used to get it in my hair, legs and stomach.

 
There were mixed reviews about going dairy and gluten free. For some people they experienced no change or little change in their condition. Previously, it was mentioned to me that dairy is associated with a lot of allergies so I had nothing to lose. From my research some people found results within 6 weeks but for most people it was around the 12 week mark that changes started to occur.

 
I started the diet at the end of September last year. It required a lot of forward planning and research into what products contained gluten and how dairy is in so many products, especially my favourite treat- Chocolate!!!! The first few weeks were the most difficult. I decided to cut out my steroid cream completely. As my body was adjusting to changes within my diet, my skin was very inflamed, uncomfortable and itchy. I even had an outbreak of spots on my face, headaches and a very sluggish feeling. Results did not come quickly for me. By the 6 week mark my skin had not improved rapidly. However, my stomach felt much better as a result of no gluten and my sinus pain was much improved- I put this down to the no dairy in my diet. 

 
I began researching paleo diet recipes to try motivate myself. I really missed having a treat! Even a scone with jam or a biscuit! I found that there are loads of recipes out there but you just have to trail through the ones that work for you. It really was trial and error! This is an expensive diet but I found that once I got familiar with the products, e.g. the type of flour, soya butter, dairy free yogurts etc it got a little easier. I found that SuperValu and Tesco were the best stockists of Gluten Free and Dairy Free products. Eating out can also be a bit of a nightmare!!

 
By Week 12 I could really see an improvement. My skin was less inflamed and itchy and things were definitely beginning to improve. Overall, I felt healthier- less bloated and more energetic. My skin even felt smooth! My psoriasis was not gone completely by any means but 100% improved on the condition it was in 3 months ago. It was less irritated and red. As it was coming up to Christmas and I wanted to wear dresses without covering my arms I decided to use steroid cream. I used it about 3 times in the week before Christmas, only once a day and it was basically gone. This was the first time in 10 years that I didn't have to rely on the sun to clear my skin!! Granted, my arms are quite scarred from the use of steroid cream over the years but it has definitely helped my condition!

 
I went off my diet over the Christmas holidays! The temptation of chocolate and stuffing got to me!! After the 2 weeks I really didn't feel well. My sinus pain was back, my psoriasis was irritated and my stomach felt ill. I am back on my diet now almost 2 weeks and I already feel so much better. I have used the steroid cream only once since the 21st of December. During a recent trip to the doctor I told her about my diet and what results I had achieved. She suggested that I use the steroid cream once or twice a week if I need it- more as a maintenance measure as opposed to using it twice a day every day. Fingers crossed that it stays under control. The Dairy Free and Gluten Free Diet has worked for me - Everybody is different but if you are willing to get relief from your psoriasis, you have nothing to lose. However, I really did stick to 12 weeks with no Gluten and Dairy, you really have to be strict with this to achieve results. 
 
 
Hope this is of help to you.
 
 
Here are some of my favourite Gluten Free/Dairy Free Treats:
 

Gluten Free Scones



 
8oz gluten free flour
1tbsp gluten free baking powder
50g Dairy Free Butter
50g Caster Sugar
1 medium egg
150ml milk (coconut/almond/soya)
 
I add about 50g raspberries & a handful of almonds to make the Raspberry & Almond Scones (Throw them into a Food mixer & then add them to the scone mixture)
 
Method:

Preheat oven to 220 Degrees(Fan Oven)
Sieve flour & baking powder into bowl & add butter
Add egg & milk
 
The mixture will be slushy
 
Scoop onto baking sheet
 
Cook for 15-18 mins
 
 
Gluten Free Mince Pies
 
 
Gluten Free Pastry:
 
For Quiche & Mince Pies & Apple Pies
 
13oz Flour&1/2 tbsp Xanthan Gum
50g Dairy Free Butter
1 Egg
Few Tbsp of Water to bind the mixture
 
Method:
 
 Sieve Flour & Xanthan Gum
Rub Butter into Flour until like fine breadcrumbs
Add egg & few drops of water
 
The pastry can be hard to keep together so I normally keep it in the fridge for 30 mins before use. 



 
Gluten Free Quiche and Gluten Free Coleslaw
 
 

Coleslaw:

White cabbage and shredded carrot and mix in half teaspoon of mayonnaise.

Quiche:

See how to make pastry above.

Once pastry made line your tin with it. In a bowl mix your eggs, and whatever filling you desire. Add to the pastry dish and put in oven for 20 minutes.

Gluten Free Apple Pie



For Pastry- see above
 
-peeled Granny Smith apples, sliced 1/4" thick
-sugar
-2 tablespoons sweet rice flour OR coconut flour
-1 teaspoon cinnamon
-1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
-1/4 teaspoon salt
  1. Combine sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl and use a whisk to thoroughly blend ingredients.
  2. Add sliced apples and gently coat apples with sugar mixture.
  3. Pour apples into dough-lined pie plate and distribute them evenly.
  4. Place top crust over the apples.
  5. Bake for 50-60 minutes, until top is golden brown and apples are tender.