Search This Blog

Thursday 13 March 2014

Age is not an Excuse


If it is important to you, you will find a way! If not you will find an excuse!

Ten months ago, I decided that I was going to help my mother get fit and healthy. As she is one of the most important people in my life, it is important to me that she is healthy and more importantly than she is happy!

At the beginning when I tried to persuade her to follow what I eat and how I exercise she thought I was mad! "Mary do you know what age I am?" " I couldn't do any of that" "That is only for young people".

Ten months later my mother has lost 3 stone, looks amazing and is more happy and confident than she has ever been.

 






How did she do it?


The biggest factor was change of diet. She did this by making small changes each week. It is easier to sustain clean eating if you make small changes each week rather than changing it drastically.

  • eat more protein
  • cut out processed food
  • planning meals
  • preparing healthy snacks for work
  • Not eating carbs late in the evening
  • Cutting out bread

Within the first 10 days she lost nearly a stone.

I used to get my mother to email me everyday so I could see exactly what she was eating and tell her where she was going right and going wrong. It's that much easier when you have someone supporting you. Well............... she might not call it support I think she was afraid of me! 

After about 2 weeks of eating clean my mother didn't require my assistance anymore she had it sussed!

Exercise also was a big factor. My mother's exercise routine consists of walks in the evenings and I even convinced her to try out weights.  She has learned basic weight exercises that she can do in the sitting room using dumbbells and she is also starting a pilates class. It took a lot of convincing for her to try weights but they are a great way to tone up if you are trying to lose weight.

I am so proud of my Mam and I hope that she can inspire others that if you put in the hard work, no matter what age you are, it pays off!

I am not telling you it is going to be easy, I am telling you it is going to be worth it.